The RVDSAFE® technology can significantly improve your vehicles safety through enhanced electrical protection for mains supplies and protecting an unearthed generator or inverter. When operating in a mains powered situation or when operating from an ‘unbonded portable generator or power inverter’ the RVD® in combination with RCD provides enhanced electrical protection through an ‘additional layer of electrical protection’ as follows:
- loss of or high impedance earth environments,
- loss of supply neutral integrity (the largest cause of electrical shock in Australia),
- and a voltage rise of 43V on the frame of equipment or the vehicle/caravan,
- protection for unearthed generators and inverters.
- enhanced electrical protection in earthed and unearthed environments.
Most portable generators sold in Australia are unbonded, however some are converted in Australia to be a bonded type, where the Neutral and Earth are connected together in a bid to make the RCD function. This method has proven unsuccessful with some regulatory authorities recommending against it.