The primary function of the device is to provide electrical safety for personnel and for equipment protection against insulation failure.
The RVDSAFE® Technology provides tripping characteristics that are equal to or better than those of the standard RCD and in some cases, it can provide tripping in response to faults that will not active RCD’s.
The RVD® is designed to accompany any RCD/RCBO to provide ‘an additional layer’ of electrical protection creating a novel method of fault detection, current and voltage faults. The device enables enhanced protection in the TN (MEN), TT and IT earthing systems.
RVDSAFE® Product Benefits
- Unique dual Earth Fault current and voltage sensing.
- Earth Fault Tripping Characteristics equal to or better than an RCD
- An add on to most brands of RCD/RCBO
- Provides an additional layer of protection to an RCD/RCBO
- Specific RVD®-E models enhances protection in all earthing systems- TN(MEN), TT and IT
- Safeguards compromised earth environments (high impedance earthing)
- Protects against the dangerous ‘loss of supply neutral’to earth
- Reversed polarity sensitive
- Voltage Detection 43V to frame- touch potential
- Broader range of fault detection
- Consumes 8mA of fault current
- Minimising Risk
|Isolations speed ms||15-40 average||5-20 average||25 average|
|Isolation milliamps||10-30 average||8 constant||5|
|Fault type detection||Current to earth||voltage to earth||current to ground|
|Operating voltage range||192-264||88-264||88-121|
|Operating Temperature C||-10 – +47||-10 – +77||-10 – +47|
|Impulse withstand test||6kV||6kV||6kV|
|Reverse Polarity Sensitive||No||Yes||No|
|Frequency||50 Hz||50-60 Hz||60 Hz|
There is no specific standard that is available for the RVD®/RCBO device because of the dual method of fault detection. In the absence of such a specific standard the device has been tested and compliant with those sections which are appropriate with normal RCD standards. The Australian Standards are AS/NZ 3190 and AS/NZ 3100 and the RVDSAFE® technology exceeds the requirements of safety installations as specified in AS/NZS 3000.